Sure, it’s easy to buy a can of biscuits to throw in the oven, but there is nothing like homemade biscuits from scratch made with real butter. This is a kid-friendly recipe that my boys love to help with when it comes to cutting the biscuits. Our favorite way to enjoy these homemade biscuits are with sausage gravy, with our favorite jam or honey, or with fresh berries and homemade whipped cream. But, you can never go wrong with a little more butter on top!
- 4 cups of flour, plus a little more for the work surface
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) salted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 T of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (OR 1 1/2 cup milk and 2 teaspoons of white vinegar)
- 2 T of olive oil for brushing
- Stir in the beaten eggs with a wooden spoon until combined. Stir in 1½ cups buttermilk until the dough comes together into a sticky mass. If it is too dry, add more buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition, until it reaches the correct consistency.
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrape the dough onto a floured work surface. Use your floured hands to press it into a round roughly 14 inches across and no more than a 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a floured 2 3/4- inch round cutter to cut out about 20 biscuits. If necessary, collect and push out the scraps to cut more biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet, arranging them so that they all have a small space between each biscuit. Brush the top of each biscuit with oil.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly in the pan on a rack.
- Biscuits are best the day they are made.
- Posted by Dacey Johnson
- On June 18, 2021
- 0 Comments