One of the most common new year’s resolutions is to eat better and be healthier. As you make life changes this year think about drinking milk and incorporating milk and milk products into your diet.
One important thing to know about milk is that it’s a great source of nine essential nutrients that are in a unique combination you won’t find in many other food sources. All types of milk contain the same nine nutrients, including flavored (yes, chocolate), low-fat, reduced-fat and whole fat milk – so drink what you like best.
Here are nine essential nutrients found in milk – and also serve as nine reasons why you should drink milk.
- Calcium: Dairy is the number one source of calcium. Calcium helps build and sustain strong bones and teeth and reduces the risk of stress fractures and osteoporosis later in life.
- Vitamin D: Helps absorb calcium to build and sustain strong bones and teeth. It can help fight inflammation.
- Phosphorus: Works with the nutrients calcium and vitamin D to help keep bones strong. It also supports healthy tissue growth.
- Protein: Essential nutrient that is used to rebuild, maintain, and repair body tissues. Organs, muscles, bones, nails and hair are all made up of protein.
- Riboflavin: Works with other nutrients to convert food (carbohydrates, fats and protein) into energy (fuel). It also plays a role in the development of the central nervous system.
- Niacin: Used in energy metabolism in the body. It converts nutrients into energy to help the body’s enzymes function normally.
- Pantothenic Acid: Plays a role in the body’s energy cycles that converts carbohydrates, protein and fats to fuel.
- Vitamin B-12: Helps to build red blood cells and maintain the central nervous system.
- Vitamin A: Promotes growth and is important for vision, healthy skin, and a healthy immune system.
Next week, we will share some of the top ways to incorporate milk in your diet.
- Posted by Josie Rozum
- On January 3, 2021
- 0 Comments